Saturday, September 7, 2013

Day 160: Now THIS is Fun Red Sox Baseball!

Didn't I say just a few days ago what a fan I was of pitchers' duels? Just kidding... I think I like these big offensive attacks much better. They're waaaay more fun to watch. And the come from behind wins are even better! After that 20-4 drubbing of the Tigers last week, I thought for sure the Red Sox would hit a dry streak. I was petrified that they used up all their runs for the week in that one game. 

I was wrong.

In the past four games, the Red Sox bats have been hot... so hot, in fact, that my Aunt Jean says you could fry an egg on them! I would have to agree. The Sox have scored 54 runs in the last four days—34 runs in the first three games of their current series with the Yankees. But none of these wins has been easy.

The first game of the series with the Yankees on Thursday night was a bit of a challenge. The Sox had a 7-2 lead going into the bottom of the seventh inning when the Yankees exploded for six runs and took an 8-7 lead. When I went to bed, it was the top of the ninth, Mariano Rivera was on the mound for the save and I felt pretty confident that the Sox would lose. Last year, they would've have lost for sure. So imagine my surprise when I woke up and I found just the opposite had happened. Boston tied it up in the ninth and then won it in the 10th, 9-8.

Friday night, the tables were turned. The Yankees were up 8-3 going into the seventh inning. This is about the time I awoke from my couch slumber. So Mike Carp walked to load the bases and Dustin Pedroia singled to cut the deficit to 8-4. And that brought up Mike Napoli who floated one out to right field that looked easily catchable, but just cleared the fence for a grand salami and a tie game. The Sox scored four more in the eighth to put the game out of reach and win 12-8.

I think today's game was the most stressful of all. After five innings, the Sox bats had staked John Lackey to a 12-3 lead—the most run support he's gotten all year. But the Yankees chipped away and cut the deficit to 12-9 with four runs in the sixth and two in the eighth. I couldn't bare the thought of Lackey not getting this win after the string of shit luck he's had this season so I almost couldn't watch. With an insurance run in the ninth and an uneventful last at bat for the Yanks, the Sox squeaked out game three, 13-9.

As it stands right now, the Red Sox now have an eight game lead in the AL East. The Tampa Bay Rays' game is currently in progress so this can go a half game either way by morning. Ohmygodohmygod I'm totally hyperventilating at the prospect of the Sox finally making it back to the post season... I just don't want to jinx it so I won't get too excited just yet. But you've heard that song and dance before.

This team has been so much fun to watch, I hope I get to do so right through the month of October.

No comments:

Post a Comment