Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Day 163: In Tennis, Love Means Nothing.

When I was a kid, I lived just a stone's throw from the tennis courts in Payson Park. So you'd think perhaps I know how to play. I don't. I've never even tried to play even though it's always interested me. The one time my dad took me to the courts, I knocked his second serve over the fence for a home run. Yeah... that's how I roll.

But just because I can't play it, doesn't mean I don't enjoy a good tennis match. However, lately I just can't stand to watch anyone playing that insists on making annoying noises every single time they hit the ball. For example, I might have watched about 8.3 seconds of the women's US Open final between Serena Williams and Victoria Azarenka. That Azarenka chick was just too freaking noisy. The shrieking is just too much for me to handle. I can hear it inside my head.

As usual Serena Williams won the match for her fifth US Open and 17th Grand Slam title, beating Azarenka 7-5, 6-7, 6-1. This was the second straight year Serena beat Victoria. Williams served nine aces with her fastest serve checking in at 126 mph (faster than Nadal's fastest!) Show off. For me, seeing Serena Williams in the final of any tournament is boring, mainly because she's just there so much. But don't tell her that. I'm pretty sure she would crush my skull without a second thought. That girl is jacked.

I have the same feelings for Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal. If I hear either of those two has been ousted from the competition, I'll be more inclined to watch. I'm sorry, I'm just weird, I guess. It seems like, at least with Nadal's case, that he rarely loses in the finals. And the US Open was no exception—he beat Novak Djokovic in four sets, 6-2, 3-6, 6-4, 6-1 to win his second Open and his 13th Grand Slam title. And he's only 27. Only Pete Sampras with 17 and Roger Federer with 14 stand in Nadal's way of becoming the best ever.

I equate it to some folks hating Tiger Woods because, for a while, he seemed to be winning every single golf tournament he entered. So I will continue to boycott tennis matches featuring greedy stars and grunters. And I won't feel guilty about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment