Thursday, September 5, 2013

Day 158: Boston Bats Come Up Seriously Big.

I totally was going to write a post about football tonight with it being the opening night of the season and all. And about how ridiculously excited I am to have a valid reason to lounge around on the couch all afternoon on Sunday and eat food that's really, really bad for me. I was going to write about being in a football pool which makes every single game of the weekend critical and intriguing... not just the Patriots game.

And then last night happened.

Wednesday night's rubber match between the Red Sox and Tigers exploded into a storm of runs. Twenty, to be exact. Yes, 2-0. No pitcher on the Tigers' staff was safe. If you didn't read yesterday's post, I mentioned that while I love a nice pitchers' duel, I also love it when "balls are just flying out of the park and the bases are always busy." DO THE RED SOX HAVE MY HOUSE BUGGED? MY COMPUTER? It's like they knew... Oh. Em. Gee. Are they reading this blog?

So much happened in the 20-4 ass whooping that I'm not sure where to start. It's hard to believe that the Red Sox actually trailed in this game... for like a half a second. What's a better way to summarize than with a few bulleted highlights.

  • The Red Sox scored in every inning except the first, with their most production coming in the sixth when they scored eight runs.
  • David Ortiz had a monster night going 3-for-5 with two home runs, three runs scored and four RBIs and also hit his 2,000 hit.
  • Will Middlebrooks also had a helluva night going 3-for-5 with grand slam, two runs scored and four RBIs.
  • Jacoby Ellsbury, Daniel Nava, Mike Napoli, Ryan Lavarnway and Stephen Drew all hit home runs.
  • The eight home runs for the Sox ties a franchise record.
  • Ten different players drove in runs for the Sox.
  • How pissed must John Lackey be that they can't score all those runs for one of his starts?

I'm sure I wasn't the only one yelling at the television for them to stop scoring runs and save some for the weekend series against the Yankees. I swear if they get shut out at any point over the next four games, I'm going to blame their greedy run scoring against the Tigers. And I'm going to be super pissed.

But damn, it was fun!! Let's do it again soon... like tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment