Saturday, March 22, 2014

Day 356: Yankees Get Taste of Ellsbury's Injury Antics

Baseball players can be real sissies. In my opinion, Jacoby Ellsbury might be the president of that club. I'm not saying all players are wimps. I know plenty that play hurt—hell, Dustin Pedroia seems to be always playing with some type of injury. Or how about Cincinnati Reds pitcher, Aroldis Chapman who was blasted in the eye socket by a line drive last week? They're now saying he'll pitch again this season which blows my mind after seeing the replay. The guy had a steel plate inserted into his head and reports are that he could be throwing a ball in a couple of weeks.

And then you have players like Ellsbury. One of my biggest problems with him when he played for the Red Sox, was his inability to return in a timely fashion from an injury. There is absolutely no sense of urgency for this guy to get back in the lineup which tells me, he's more interested in what's best for him than what's best for the team. Maybe that will do something for his longevity in this game, but dude, come on.

When he hit the free agent market after the 2013 season, I really wondered what type of pay day a guy like him would score. He had two seasons with the Red Sox that were significantly shortened by an injury that I'm convinced wasn't debilitating enough to warrant missing that much time. But then again, I'm not a doctor so who am I to judge... just a sneaking suspicion, I guess. So after the Yankees signed him to seven year, $153 million contract, my first thought was, good friggin' luck getting your money's worth out of that pansy.

The regular season hasn't even started yet and ol' Jacoby is up to his old tricks. He hasn't played in a spring training game since March 14th because of tightness in his right calf. He had an MRI late last week and then tested it out the following day by doing some light running and hopes to be back in the lineup on Tuesday. He hopes... you know, if there's absolutely not even one tiny little twinge of pain. Although there were reports that he said if it was the regular season, he coooooould play. Douche.

Oh Jacoby, I'm sorry you're such a wuss. But I'm not sorry you're playing for a different team this year. Your their problem now.

No comments:

Post a Comment