Sunday, October 6, 2013

Day 189: ALDS: Red Sox Up 2-0!

This weekend I'm in the Poconos for a wedding. I'm wickedly happy to be here, catching up with friends I haven't seen in a year or more. There's been lots of hugging... lots of laughs... lots of drinks and the wedding hasn't even happened yet! I think tonight's going to be crazy and I can't wait. Thankfully, the Sox and Rays don't play today.

So because of my reminiscing, I sadly missed the game yesterday. That's not to say I wasn't checking my phone every five seconds for a scoring update, possibly earning a glare or two from the bride-to-be... good thing she knows I'm a crazy sports fan!

If you were off and gallivanting on Saturday like me, you missed another great performance by the Sox offense. Not as great as the first game, but equally as entertaining and with the same positive outcome.

And here's what I missed:

  • Jacoby Ellsbury got the offense started with a bloop single in the first, a stolen base advancing to third on an errant throw, and then scoring on a sac fly. 
  • Ellsbury also went 3-for-4 with three runs scored and an RBI.
  • David Ortiz bashed two home runs. Ortiz will turn 38 next month and he claims he feels like he's 20!
  • Koji Uehara threw 11 pitches in the top of the ninth and all 11 were strikes. He struck out two for his first postseason save with the Sox. Ok, that gives me chills.
  • John Lackey wasn't as awesome as he has been, but held the Rays to just four runs over 5.1 innings and struck out six. I'll take that.
  • David Ross, Dustin Pedroia and Ellsbury all had doubles, and Pedey drove in three runs. Stephen Drew legged out a triple.

Saturday's game didn't have the same craziness that Friday's did. The Rays were more defensively sound than the day before, but the Sox took advantage of scoring situations with timely hits to take game two 7-4.

Game three of the ALDS is Monday at 6pm down in Tampa. Clay Buchholz, who might have been a Cy Young candidate had it not been for the three missed months with a neck injury, takes on Alex Cobb who is 2-2 with a 4.19 ERA in seven career starts against the Red Sox.

No comments:

Post a Comment