Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Day 276: Happy New Year! And Balls' Resolutions...

Every New Years Day, I start listing things I can do to better myself. Most of them consist of exercising more and eating better. It never turns out that way. Sure, the exercising seems to go well... but I love to eat and the more horribly bad for me the food is, the more I love it! So this year I'm not even wasting time trying to change my diet. Maybe I'll just shoot for smaller portions... (I couldn't even type that with a straight face!)

My exercising goal will be the usual—elliptical (or is it spelled elliptikill?) at least five days a week, 30 minute per day. Maybe I'll crank up the tension knob a turn or two and add in the moving handles. Although when my arms are moving, it makes controlling the DVR a little more challenging. I might have to rethink that one. It's no secret that the key for me to actually staying on that ghastly contraption for the full 30 minutes is good television shows. This could be the reason why I fail at it so terribly between Thanksgiving and Christmas. That and the fact that it seriously cuts into my eating time.

Starting today, I'm also planning to take part in a 30 Day Plank Challenge... and no, I'm not talking about lumber. The Challenge is supposed to take me from a short, 20 second plank on day one to a five minute plank on day 30. I can honestly say I've never attempted a plank in my entire life so really, how hard could it be? If you've never done a plank, the answer is: very hard. Planks are pure evil. But I'm really hoping this will help my rapidly aging lower back.

The challenge starts with a 20 second plank on day one that I completed a couple of hours before writing this post. Doesn't sound very lengthy, right? Holy shit! That was by far the longest 20 seconds of my entire life. My abs are currently planning a revolt. WTF? I'm really not sure how I'm going to increase that to 30 seconds which is just two days from now, let alone make it five full freaking minutes. I'm doomed!

I'm also declaring this summer the Summer of Golf! I definitely need to play more golf (and get better golf outfits!). The end. I really don't think I'm ever going to get better if I can't play regularly. Maybe I'll even take a few lessons in the spring to get going on the right foot. There's nothing worse that stepping up to that first tee and wonder what the hell you did the last time you hit a pretty drive...six months ago. I don't remember what I did six hours ago!

I have high hopes for 2014... Here's wishing you all a happy, healthy and hopeful year too!

No comments:

Post a Comment