Sunday, January 5, 2014

Day 280: Still a Hockey Pink Hat

After the extreme excitement of the Stanley Cup playoffs last season, I vowed to be less of a hockey pink hat for the 2013-14 season. Guess what? I failed. I know the season isn't over yet and there's probably still time to move past that dreaded pink hat status, but I guess I didn't realize how difficult the task is when the other person in the house could give two craps about hockey. It's going to be a tough hill to climb, a tough stigma to shake.

It's not like I know nothing about the team this season. I've been keeping up with the news. I heard all about the Shawn Thornton's suspension. I saw the play that got him ousted for 15 games. Is it wrong I didn't think it was that bad? Maybe it's because I watched it on YouTube and didn't get the full cheapness of the shot. I also know that unfortunately Dennis Seidenberg will miss the remainder of the season with a torn ACL/MCL—leaving a bit of a hole at defense. So I'm not completely clueless.

I do know this. The Boston Bruins are kicking some major ass right now. Their record of 28-12-2 is good enough for first place in the Atlantic Division. The leading scorers for the B's are no surprise: David Krejci, Reilly Smith, Milan Lucic, Jarome Iginla and Patrice Bergeron round out the top five. I was happy to see that Iginla has settled in with the team he snubbed last year.

Krejci leads the team with 36 points. At first I thought that sounded like a pretty good number. And then I looked at the overall NHL scoring numbers and had to chuckle. Krejci's 36 points barely gets him on the first page. That whiney little idiot Sydney Crosby has 62 points. What? Both the Bruins and Penguins lead their respective conference but Pittsburgh has just three more points than Boston. And with all those goals and assists, I kind of feel like they should be so much better than that. Their goalie must really blow.

So now is when my superstitions come into play. I really want to watch a game or two and I'm afraid I'll jinx them. I guess if I'm going to give it a try, now is the time. Not later on when the games really matter as the season starts to wind down. I enjoyed the playoffs so much this past spring... I need that again!

No comments:

Post a Comment