Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Day 107: An Open Letter to the Pre All-Star Break Red Sox

Dear Red Sox,

You're probably wondering why I'm choosing the All-Star break to thank you for all the joy you've given me during the first half of the season. It's simple... if you suck right out of the gate after the break, at least you know I appreciated you when you were great! Not that I think you're going to flush it down the tubes, but you know... shit happens, so just in case...

I don't remember a year where I enjoyed watching you so much. Your enthusiasm, teamwork and sportsmanship throughout the first three and a half months have made me proud to be a Red Sox fan again. After that disaster last year, I wasn't sure what to expect—I'm not sure anyone was. It just goes to show you what a sane manager and a few good clubhouse guys will do for an organization. And getting rid of that trio of bad attitudes seemed to do wonders for your chemistry.

It's nice to see a group of guys who look happy to be playing baseball, who seem to genuinely like each other, and who don't give up even when the chips are down. Even when management has made roster and lineup changes, the whining (at least publicly) has not been present. I happen to make it to a game a few weeks ago and I didn't feel tortured staying until the end of the game. Even when you're behind, there's still that confidence that makes me feel like you can win every game.

Sure, you've had a couple of short losing streaks but nothing that gave me reason to worry too much. I do realize you can't win 'em all—even though that would be completely awesome, so I take the losses for what they're worth and look forward to the next win. I'm happy for the guys who are tearing it up at the plate and feel optimistic that those who are struggling will get their day in the sun. Even the players who seem to be floundering at times get their chance to contribute and often come through.

So I'd like to say thank you. Thank you for not making it agonizing to write about you this year. Thank you for making baseball fun again. Thank you for being a likeable and exciting team. And thank you for letting your fans feel like "worst to first" is an actual possibility.

Cheers!
~Stacy

No comments:

Post a Comment