Monday, July 22, 2013

Day 113: Take That, Yankees!

I'm not to going to lie, I was slightly stressed out about this weekend series against the Yankees. With the Tampa Bay Rays nipping at the heels of the Sox in the standings, every win counts and they needed desperately to take advantage of the Yankees' struggles. And then, when the Red Sox won Friday night, I breathed just a little sigh of relief!

But Saturday, I was back to quaking in my boots after a tough loss. John Lackey pitched ok, but the four runs he gave up proved to be more than the Sox offense could overcome against Hiroki Kuroda. The usually peppy Boston bats were quiet and managed just two runs on seven hits. Tough break for Lackey who had pitched strong in his last several outings.

So Sunday...the rubber match...the Sunday night ESPN showdown...an epic Red Sox vs. Yankees matchup. A seesaw battle of red vs. blue. When I went to bed, the Sox enjoyed a comfortable 7-3 lead. But really, what exactly is a comfortable lead when you're talking about the NYY? And then I woke up to my phone happily alerting me this morning of a victorious Boston team. It wasn't until a little later that I heard the gory details...eleven innings...4 hours and 46 minutes...and yet another walk-off win for the Sox on Mike Napoli's second round-tripper of the night!

After 100 games of the 2013 season, the Boston Red Sox, who finished last in the AL East with 69 wins in 2012, are 60-40 and continue to enjoy the most wins in the major leagues. The next four games will be the real test though, with the surging Rays coming into Fenway having won 20 of their last 24 games. Here I go, quaking in my boots again!

No comments:

Post a Comment