Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Day 262: San Francisco 49ers Take Feud to Next Level

Growing up in New England, I know a thing or two about sports feuds having witnessed years and years of the Boston vs. New York hostility. I was born to hate the Yankees. At an early age, I was introduced to the heart wrenching conflict. *cough* Bucky Dent *cough* And I'm still wondering what possessed me to marry a Yankees fan. (Haha!)

For most of my life, the New England Patriots never did anything to cause strife between them and another team. They just plodded along in a sea of mediocrity, embarrassing themselves a couple times on the big stage of the Super Bowl. When Bill Belichick took over and they started winning, that's when the tension became noticeable. I would hear non-Pats fans talk about how much they hated the Patriots and Tom Brady and it surprised me.

I had no idea that these types of feuds happened outside of the Northeast... but they do. The hostility between the San Francisco 49ers and the Seattle Seahawks has reached a new level. One that I have never seen before. And it's pretty freaking awesome. The teams are #1 and #2 in the NFC West with the Seahawks holding a two game lead with two games to play. Shit is getting real in that division.

The teams are trying anything to get a leg up on the other. Something to get under the other guys skin and knock them off their game just a little bit. Earlier this season, the Seahawks paid to have a "12th man" banner flown over the San Francisco game referencing the immense noise that the 'Hawks' fans generate in support of their team. So in response the 49ers bought a billboard in Seattle touting their five Super Bowl wins to none for the Seahawks.

The billboard might look a little like this.... well played, 49ers, well played.


Photo from: gofundme.com/Seattle-Billboard-Fund

No comments:

Post a Comment