Sunday, August 11, 2013

Day 133: Should I Be Worried? I'm Kinda Worried...

I mentioned in last night's post that Kansas City hasn't been too kind to the Red Sox this weekend and today was more of the same treatment. The Red Sox ended up on the losing end of another close one this afternoon to the Royals. The Royals? Yup... KC is currently 7.5 games behind Detroit in the AL Central, but they've gone 16-4 over their last 20 games. Not too shabby for a team I never took seriously before now.

So now I'm a little worried. I don't know why... it's not like the Sox haven't lost three in a four-game series before. They haven't had the best road trip, they sit at 3-4 and they still have three games with the Blue Jays coming up this week before they head back home. I'd like to think the Jays won't be a problem, but then I thought the Astros and Royals wouldn't be a problem and look where that got me.

Today was another tough loss for John Lackey who just can't seem to catch a break lately. He gave up four earned runs and the Sox fell one frustrating run short in the loss. That makes five straight starts where Lackey has either taken the L or a no decision and he hasn't won a game since July 12th. I think I may have jinxed him...

Maybe I'm just a little gun shy after the last two seasons. Maybe memories of 2011 are sneaking back into my head—memories I fought hard to forget. Memories of a 7-20 September marred by stories of fried chicken and beer in the clubhouse that caused unrest amongst teammates. And memories of an epic collapse where the Red Sox lost out on a trip to the playoffs on the final day of the season. And then to go from that disaster to the Bobby Valentine catastrophe in 2012... like I said... gun shy.

But I shouldn't be so distressed. This 2013 team has shown it's resilient and fearless over and over. So they had a couple of bad games—I bet they're not terribly worried. Even if the Rays win tonight, there's still a two-game cushion.

I'm still worried. Call it the pre-2004 Red Sox fan in me. I need to snap out of it. A sweep of the Blue Jays this week would do just that! *hint hint*

No comments:

Post a Comment