Sunday, June 2, 2013

Day 63: Baseball Movies That Make Me Happy!

I can't bring myself to write about the Red Sox or the Bruins tonight in fear of jinxing them. *whispers* They both did so well last night... So instead, I'm going to treat you to a countdown of my most favorite baseball movies. I originally posted this over at Fenway Fatales in early 2012 so if it looks familiar... sorry.

Who doesn't love a movie about baseball? Ok... maybe there are some people who think it's a little like watching paint dry (and I am not friends with those people.) What is it about a baseball movies and this power they have over me? They make me laugh, cry, cheer, boo, and most importantly, they make me happy. Sure there may be ups and downs, but in the end, you're usually treated to a victory of some sort.

Let the countdown begin!

#5 - Field of Dreams: How many times have you heard someone say it? "If you build it, they will come." Years ago, ESPN compiled a list of the top 100 sports movie quotes - this was #11. When I hear it, I immediately picture a young Kevin Costner, hacking away at his cornfield to begin erecting his very own baseball diamond. What happens next kind of made me want to build my own baseball field. Give me chills just thinking about it. Come to think of it, it's been too long since I last saw this one. *runs off to Netflix queue*

#4 - For the Love of the Game: What can I say? It's got baseball, it's got romance, it's got Kevin Costner. What's not to love? I'm just a sucker for all of it. And I'm especially a sucker for a nail-biter of a ballgame with the possibility of not just a no hitter, but the holy grail for all pitchers - the perfect game. If I had any complaints about his movie, it would be Kelly Preston. She's just not one of my favorites.

#3 - A League of Their Own: "There's no crying in baseball!" possibly one of the all time greatest baseball movie quotes (and #7 on that really old ESPN list I mentioned above.) This is saying a lot since Bull Durham has its fair share of great quotes. This is the one baseball movie that makes me cry. And it usually happens at the end, when all those women gather at the Hall of Fame, and Dottie and Kit reunite...gets me every time. I love this movie so much because I'd like to think I would've totally tried out. Even though I can't hit a fast ball to save my life.

#2 - Fever Pitch: If Bull Durham was never made, this would be my all time favorite baseball movie. How could I not love it -- it's the Sox. And it's the Sox winning the freaking World Series. Plus my love for Jimmy Fallon runs deep. And evidently, the feeling is mutual since he is actually following me on Twitter. Yup, you heard right, Jimmy and I are total bffs. He even sent me a direct message. I'm sure if he gets wind that I'm bragging about it, he's totally going to dump my sorry ass. Shhhhh... don't tell, mkay?

#1 - Bull Durham: Looks like I'm not the only who thinks this is the best! The first time I watched this movie it was before the days of big screen TVs. I was home alone and I pulled the recliner really close to the TV to give it the appearance of being a big screen. See how crafty I am? I had my popcorn and soda and I watched. I watched and I drooled and I loved. Crash Davis might be the single sexiest baseball character ever to grace the silver screen. That Annie Savoy is one lucky lady. I aspire to be just like her some day! Well... maybe not now, but years ago I did! You know, BH (before husband.)

Well, there's my list. It was difficult to narrow it down to just 5 movies! Honorable mentions go out to Moneyball, The Natural and The Rookie. So what's your favorite baseball movie and what makes it so special?

No comments:

Post a Comment