I thank the baseball gods every day that John Farrell agreed to leave Toronto and come back to Boston and save us from that demon, Bobby Valentine. It's a perfect scenario of good vs. evil. Farrell and the Sox front office have put together a team that fans can actually like... a team that actually like each other... a team that performs like a team. Holy crap, what a novel idea! That happened ZERO times last year under that malevolent misfit of a manager.
How about a few April highlights?
- Clay Buchholz is 5-0 with a 1.19 ERA.
- They rank in baseball’s top 5 in many categories: Runs (135, #4), OBP (.347, #3), Slugging (.446, #3), Batting Average (.271, #3), Walks (97, #3) and Stolen Bases (22, #2).
- They have either been in first or tied for first since the season started—a spot they never saw in 2012.
- The pitching staff has held opponents to a .221 average, best in the majors.
- They've struck out 9.94 players per 9 innings which ranks #1.
- The starters have a combined 3.24 ERA (#5).
- Big Papi might be the first person to F-word on live TV and not get fined by the FCC.
Sometimes it makes me so happy I could cry! My initial prediction for total wins in 2013 was 82. I think I might have estimated low... at least I hope.